Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#81) -- Defeating Doubt

All writers have periods where they doubt their abilities.
How do you weather those emotional storms?
(Inspired by Table Talk at New Pulp)

I loved the responses my writing amigos Barry, Bobby, and Mike had for this in their column, so I had to steal this question for my own here at the Bad Girls, Good Guys, and Two-Fisted Action.

My response?

I think it's important for a writer to have those moments of triumph he or she can look back on and be inspired by when we do lose our focus, or fall prey to the temporary battles with doubt and often even despair. For me, I keep my published books and comics beside my desk so that when I doubt or just get exhausted and feel run as a writer, I can look over to my right, see that row of comics, paperbacks and hardcovers, and remind myself that, "Yes. Yes, you can do this. You've done it before, and you can most certainly weather this and do it again. Just type something, and it'll all come back to you."

How about you? What to you do to help you through those moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment