Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#84) -- Heroes and Tragedy

Why did you choose the quote "Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy" by F. Scott Fitzgerald for your book Show Me A Hero? Isn't that kind of depressing?

I don't think of it as depressing at all. I see it as a natural outcome of anyone's choice to sacrifice himself or herself for the good of others. And to clarify, it's only seen as a tragedy by those outside the choice itself. To the one who chooses, the experience is not one of tragedy but of triumph.

I also believe that, as humans, we tend not to learn much from moments of pleasure, but more from times of pain. And that's weird, I know, because if you know me personally, you'd know I'm a very optimistic person.

Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment