Friday, November 30, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#265) -- Vampire Fiction

What are your thoughts about vampire fiction? Is it played out, or still viable?


Not this.
Repeat after me: Anything is viable with the right story.

Do I have that story for vampires? Not on your life. It's not a genre I really "feel" -- at least with the contemporary way of doing it. But I'm not a gothic writer either, so I would really be able to take it back to its Stoker roots.

 Or this.
But it's still obviously very popular. It seems most of urban fantasy is still crawling with the fanged undead, each book trying to outdo the last in an attempt to be the new post-Twilight vamp sensation.

Personally, I'd love to take a stab at something, but I'd  need to find something that cast the whole genre in a new direction, neither the "30 Days of Night" camp nor the "Twilight/Interview with a Vampire" camp. What that would be I have no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment