Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Exploring My First Novel -- Meet Stephen Ramsay!

I'm always happy to share interviews with new writers, but I'm particularly happy to share this one. Why?

Because this one features Stephen Ramsay. I met Stephen when he was a card gamer at the comic book and gaming story I used to manage. I only discovered later that he was a writer, and I'm pleased to announce that his first novel, Shadowgrave, is finally available. 

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

My latest work is the story of the young necromancer Abaddon Delekran who, after nearly being killed by his master for a power he cannot possibly understand, is forced into a new and unknown world. He seeks power in any way and place possible to stop his former master, Radax, for when he returns. Along the way, he learns of his dark origins and what the possible ramifications of those same origins could mean for those around him.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

Recurring themes and subjects? For this work, I’d say the loss of innocence, the sense of adventure amidst the constant of tragedy in life, and finding friends despite danger and death.

What would be your dream project?

My dream project is to write a full-blown epic. A saga that spans several books and can potentially even inspire others.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

I have no former projects as of right now that I would revisit to improve. Perhaps that might happen later in my literary career. Heck, maybe later down the road I would say that I would improve my first work (Being this one).

What inspires you to write?

Well I’d have to say that I’m inspired by all the authors I’ve read over the years as well as my time that I was submitting to the literary magazine at my old college. And of course, playing a few years of Dungeons and Dragons helped a little too.

What writers have influenced your style and technique?

As far as writers are concerned, influences for me would include authors such as Stephen King, T.A. Barron, J.R.R. Tolkien, and J.K. Rowling just to name a few. I grew up with these authors and it’s thanks to their works I even began reading novels in the first place.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

I’d say writing is more of an art than anything. While there is a science to it, that part of it mostly involves what you could learn in school. Now it’s an art in the same sense that an artist paints. Works of art that hang in galleries are an artist’s vision of the world. Well books are the same for writers, it’s an art, creating a new world for themselves as well as the audience they pander to.

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?  

As far as upcoming projects are concerned….I do have 2 more longer-length novels planned for the Shadowgrave line over the next few years. And after this series is done, I do have another longer, untitled series in the works.

================================

For more information and to pick up a copy of Shadowgrave for yourself, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment