Thursday, March 11, 2021

Nikki Nelson-Hicks Feathers Her Crown

I first met Nikki Nelson-Hicks when she was dressed as Neil Gaiman's Death at a dance for writers. I'm not ashamed to admit that I fell in love just a little bit. Talented. Artful. (Yes, and beautiful, but I don't want her husband to shoot me so I'll just stop there.) 

If you haven't read her work, you really should. She's really, really gifted with the wordsmithing. 

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

I just released an anthology of short horror stories in an anthology called Stone Baby and Other Strange Tales.

I am currently working on a story called Crown of Feathers. It tells the tale of Eli Kohl who has to learn the hard way that death is sometimes better.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?

I was an anxious, nervous kid with a bad belly. Reading was an escape. A weird defensive reflex to get away from the pain. I want to give back, give people the sort of escape I needed when I was a scared kid.

What inspires you to write?

Anything fun, mysterious, or just plain weird. I listen to podcasts, read books, old newspapers…anything! You never know what can set you off down a very deep rabbit hole.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

Grief, loss and family. 

What would be your dream project?

To write something as brilliantly nuanced as Terry Pratchett.

6. What writers have influenced your style and technique?

Terry Pratchett, Flannery O’Connor, Stephen King.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

Oh! I did it. I redid the WHOLE Jake Istenhegyi series. 

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

I think it’s a form of magic and therefore some weird crossroads between science and art.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

Getting out of my own damn way and just writing. You never get over the fear of not being good enough. Freaking imposter syndrome.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not?

Oh yes! My writer friends have talked me off many ledges and I do the same for them.

What does literary success look like to you?

I’d love to write something that enflames the world and beats a path to my doorway. And then again, that sounds terribly scary.

The best things that have happened to me so far is when someone contacts me to let me know that my story softened some blow, comforted them when they were sick or just gave them some entertainment when they were alone and bored. 

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?

Crown of Feathers but I can’t promise when that’s going to be done. I have another project on the stove that is about Djinns but that is for another day.

For more information, visit:

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B00I34EF3S
Or find me on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @Nikcubed


And you expect us to believe THAT, Nikki?!





No comments:

Post a Comment