Thursday, May 18, 2023

Robin Burks: The Courage To Be Who You Are Meant To Be

Robin Burks is an entertainment and science/technology journalist, published author and cosplayer. Robin is the author of Madame Vampire, as well as The Alex Grosjean Adventures Series, which includes Zeus, Inc., The Curse of Hekate and Return of the Titans. In 2014, Indie Reader named the protagonist of that series, Alex Grosjean, as one of its Top Five Smart, Strong and Relatable Female Characters. The series was also inducted into the 2018 Darrell Awards Coger Hall of Fame.

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

My new novel, The Dream Seeker, is the first of the "Children of Magic" series. It's a young adult fantasy about Alessa Grey who learns that her dreams are real and that she can use them to unlock magical powers.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?

I've been telling stories my whole life, so I guess I've always been a storyteller. I've been writing them down since I've known how to write, so I've pretty much always been a writer, too.

What inspires you to write?

Just about everything! TV shows, movies, books, life, you name it! My brain files everything away into a disorganized mess in my head and I just pull from it when I need creative ideas.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

The theme of my current book is about courage and finding the courage to be who you are meant to be. That seems to be a pretty common theme in most of my other stories, too.

What would be your dream project?

I think I've just written it. The story I'm telling in the Children of Magic series is one I've been wanting to tell for a very long time.

What writers have influenced your style and technique?

Neil Gaiman and his brilliant imagination -- just the way he sees his worlds and the way he describes them has been a huge influence on my work. I've been a fan since Sandman.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

The first rule of writing (well, there aren't rules, but it's my personal rule) is to never look back. So I don't think I would or could go back to a previous project to change it.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

I didn't realize this was a thing! I mean, to me, it feels 100 percent like art most of the time.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

The actual writing part. Sometimes you have to fight those words to get them out and to make them work so that they tell a story. That first draft isn't called a "rough draft" for nothing. After that, everything else, the rewriting, editing, etc, feels easy!

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not?

I've had so much good advice from other writer friends on everything from how not to beat myself up so much to how to promote my books to how to sell books at conventions. They also keep me motivated and always have words of encouragement, especially when I need them.

What does literary success look like to you?

If just one person reads one of my books, loved it, and told me they loved it, that's a success to me. 

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?

Not at the moment. I'm also a cosplayer and I'm always working on a new costume.

For more information, visit: 

www.robin-burks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment