Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#167) -- Why Zombies?

Aren't zombies played out? Why keep writing zombie stories?

We're coming to get Barbara if you
ever stop writing our stories.
The short answer is this: Because I keep getting paid for writing zombie stories.

The long answer is this: Because I keep finding fun ways to play with the zombie story. Rather than rehash the zombie apocalypse that George Romero did so well, I keep looking for new kinds of stories to tell using a zombie setting. In Zombiesque, I used zombies to explore the nature of art and how love plays into that urge to create. In Pro Se Presents #1, I explored the wedding vow and how can a marriage continue to work in the wake of a zombie uprising. And in Zombies vs. Robots: This Means War, I explored love and marriage again, but in the context of love lost and the second chance that a zombie infestation might bring when one's humanity isn't what it used to be.

And because of that, all of those stories were a great deal of fun to write.

Besides, if I don't, they'll eat my braiiiiiiiiiiins.