Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#167) -- Why Zombies?

Aren't zombies played out? Why keep writing zombie stories?

We're coming to get Barbara if you
ever stop writing our stories.
The short answer is this: Because I keep getting paid for writing zombie stories.

The long answer is this: Because I keep finding fun ways to play with the zombie story. Rather than rehash the zombie apocalypse that George Romero did so well, I keep looking for new kinds of stories to tell using a zombie setting. In Zombiesque, I used zombies to explore the nature of art and how love plays into that urge to create. In Pro Se Presents #1, I explored the wedding vow and how can a marriage continue to work in the wake of a zombie uprising. And in Zombies vs. Robots: This Means War, I explored love and marriage again, but in the context of love lost and the second chance that a zombie infestation might bring when one's humanity isn't what it used to be.

And because of that, all of those stories were a great deal of fun to write.

Besides, if I don't, they'll eat my braiiiiiiiiiiins.

2 comments:

  1. I wrote HE STOPPED LOVING HER TODAY (still available for .99 cents in ONE BUCK ZOMBIES) as an exploration of the undying nature of love.....as well as an exploration of the insanity that grips when someone loses EVERYTHING.....as well as and exploration of really cool and gruesome zombies. lol

    People have told me it is poetry to them.

    Zombies are an instantaneous, visceral symbol of one of the fudamental truths of the universe. YOU WILL DIE ONE DAY.
    They are powerful. That's why so much good storytelling can happen with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed.

      "Zombies are an instantaneous, visceral symbol of one of the fudamental truths of the universe. YOU WILL DIE ONE DAY."

      Delete