Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#177) -- Plumber's Block

What are your thoughts about writer's block?

"Imes" understands the legend of the block, eh?
I don't deal with because it doesn't exist, no more than a plumber gets plumber's block. Sure, he or she may hit a problem that requires a new way to fix, but he or she doesn't cop out, go home and call it a "block."

The same should hold true for writers. Address the problem. Start work on a different project. Step away for a moment then return with a new perspective. But don't let it stop the flow of the work.

Just grab a different tool and take another shot.

But but for heaven's sake don't call it a "block" and create a monster out something imaginary.

2 comments:

  1. I call it a writing curve. Sometimes I loose track of where the story is going, can't figure out where my next move will be. But I don't quit writing. I will send it out in left field somewhere. Then eventually it will come to me and bring it back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I don't believe in Writer's Block. Oh, there are periods I have where I just don't feel like writing but I call it what it is. That's not to say that I don't hit a bad patch while writing a novel (especially while writing a novel) or run into a problem.

    But I don't stop writing. I go off and write a movie review or some Marvel/DC fan fiction and let my subconscious work on the problem while I keep the creative machine oiled by changing up gears. I'm still writing, still producing. And I find that once I finish that review or that fan fiction the problem has worked itself out or I've figured out a new way to make that scene giving me so much trouble a new spin. But I don't stop writing.

    In short, "Writer's Block" are two words every writer should take out of their vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete