Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bobby Nash: Coming Out the Other Side Stronger

If you've followed this blog for any time at all,the name of Bobby Nash will not be unfamiliar to you. Bobby's not only a prolific and gifted writer but also a good friend. As we hadn't really focused on him and his latest work, it only seemed right and proper to do so now. 
Tell us a bit about your latest work. 

My latest prose release is Gary Phillips’ Hollis P.I., a hard-boiled detective anthology from Pro Se Productions featuring Gary’s Nate Hollis character. Nate first saw print at DC’s Vertigo in the Angeltown mini series. My story in this collection is called “Naomi” and has Nate trying to find out who murdered a young woman and why. His search takes him into some dark places.

You can find Gary Phillips’ Hollis P.I. at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, and more.
Pro Se’s website: http://prose-press.com/

Links: 

My latest comic book release is the Operation: Silver Moon graphic novel published by BEN Books. Written by me, with art by the amazing Rick Johnson, Operation: Silver Moon is the story of secret agent Tom Lupis (not his real name) who happens to be a werewolf. Agent Lupis goes behind enemy lines during World War II teaming up with a vampire lord to stop a power mad Nazi general from unleashing hell on Earth with a recently discovered ancient weapon. Rick and I have plans to do more stories with these characters.

You can find Operation: Silver Moon at Amazon, Barnes and Noble.

Links: 

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work? 

I like to see characters overcome obstacles and come out the other side stronger. I also like to write about family, whether it’s the one you’re born into or the one you create around yourself. I like to play with interpersonal relations. I also like to blow things up and kill people, in literary realms only, of course.

I also like a good mystery thriller so that always seems to mix into whatever genre I’m writing. There’s almost always a hit of a thriller in there.

What would be your dream project? 

I want to write The Fantastic Four comic book for Marvel one day.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do? 

Tough question. I don’t have a good answer. Every project has at least one thing I wish I could change, but I prefer to look forward and not back. Once the story is done and published, I don’t want to look back and wonder if I could re-do it better. I’d rather look to the next project and see if I can tell that story better.

What inspires you to write? 

Stories continue to pop into my head. If I didn’t write them down, they would keep coming. At least this way I can share them and hopefully entertain others with them. Having a reader tell me he or she enjoyed something I wrote is an amazing thing. It makes the long hours I put into writing worth it.

What writers have influenced your style and technique? 

I want to be Sean Taylor when I grow up. 

In all seriousness (first time for everything), I am influenced by a little bit of everything. It can be an overheard conversation, people I see at a restaurant, even a bill waiting for me in the mailbox. All of these things help kickstart the part of my brain where creativity begins.

I’m also certainly influenced by other writers. I learn so much from seeing how others craft their tales, the decisions they make in storytelling, they way they market their work, even the way they interact with their fans and readers. I’ve learned so much from watching others. Just not… you know… in a stalker-ish kind of way.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why? 

While there is a science to writing, I think the storytelling aspect definitely springs from the art side. I don’t use a formula for creating stories. They sometimes come to me in fragments, other times fully formed, and sometimes I don’t realize until later that separate ideas are actually part of the same story. That’s not very scientific, in my mind.

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?

Well, if you insist. 2015 is already off to a good start. I don’t have specific dates for these yet, but here are some books to be on the look out for in 2015: 

Prose: Snow Storm, Alexandra Holzer’s Ghost Gal: A Haunting We Will Go…, V-Wars vol. 5, The Big Bad II: Another Anthology of Evil, The Ruby Files Vol. 2, Evil Intent, Deadly Deals! (maybe 2016), Blood Shot, Pro Se Signature Series - Freelancer: The Traveler Sanction, an as yet untitled Nightscape novel (I believe some guy named Taylor is also involved with this one), and a few others I’m sure I’ve forgotten or simply can’t talk about yet.

Comics: the graphic novel adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ At The Earth’s Core (art by Jamie Chase) is slated for September, I believe. Domino Lady Threesome (a new team-up series I’m co-writing with Nancy Holder with art by Marco Santiago and others) begins in 2015. Strong Will (co-written with Mike Gordon with art by Wendell Cavalcanti and Rob Jones), All-Star Pulp Comics #3 (a Lance Star: Sky Ranger story with art by Rock Baker and Jeff Austin), and a few others are in the works.

Film: Camp Massacre (the movie formerly known as Fat Chance) will be out on DVD March 2015.

Yeah. Looks like a busy year ahead of me.

You can keep up with the progress and release dates for all of these projects and more at www.bobbynash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment