Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Ron Fortier -- Of Course It's an Art

Ron Fortier is the Cap'n. I'm proud to call him editor, publisher, and friend. He's 1/2 of the brains and brawn behind Airship 27 Productions, and a damn fine writer and purveyor of pulp pulchritudes. 

Tell us a bit about your latest work. 

Considering I usually have three to four things in the fire at the same time, that simple question could be overly long. So let’s Reader’s Digest it. Comics-wise, I’ve just finished writing a 108-pg Black Bat graphic novel which artist Mike Belcher is drawing and will self-publish when finished. Pulp-wise, I’m in the middle of a new novel that will be a prequel to my Brother Bones series. And I recently finished a short story for Tommy Hancock’s tribute book for our late dear friend, Derrick Ferguson.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer? 

Comics happened. My Dad started giving me comics when I was all of five years old. I couldn’t even read, but I sure could follow the pictures. From that I got a sense of narrative and then by the time I could read, it was all I ever wanted to do. Ergo, it only became natural for me to get the bug and want to tell my own stories.

What inspires you to write? 

The joy and pleasure I can give others, be they friends and families or total strangers. If my stories can entertain people in a positive way, that reward is priceless to me. 

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work? 

The standard good versus evil is at the core of anything I write. Whether it’s a comedy superhero like Mr. Jigsaw defeating bad guys in his own hilarious fashion, on the creepy undead Brother Bones blowing away gangsters. With that as a foundation, I can layer on other themes such as loyalty, courage and sacrifice. Often times doing the right thing requires lots of sacrifice and that is great drama.

What would be your dream project? 

Writing a graphic novel detailing the making of the 1938 movie KING KONG.

What writers have influenced your style and technique? 

By the time I was 13, I was an avid reader and discovered Edgar Rice Burroughs, Edmond Hamilton, Richard Prather and Robert Heinlein. But the one writer who totally shaped my style was Evan Hunter writing his 87th Precinct mysterious under the pseudonym of Ed McBain. His economy of words and efficiency in using dialog was amazing and I marveled at it. Enough to try and emulate him every time I write…even to this day.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do? 

I once co-wrote a pulp entitled GHOST SQUAD with Andrew Salmon that we’d hoped to be the start of a pulp series. Unfortunately the book was coming in short and I urged to Andrew to extend a certain car-chase sequence. It was padding and we were called on it by several reviewers. That was all on me. If I could go back re-edit it, that scene would be severely trimmed. It was a hard lesson to learn.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why? 

Of course it’s an art. It is nothing you put in a can or build in a machine shop, no matter what formula you envision. Whereas I consider all art spiritual, a gift from the Creator. All of us possess such a gift and have an obligation to use it for the betterment of mankind, be you a cook, auto mechanic, or singer. Writing is a gift, it is art.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

The actual creating itself. As my old pal Derrick Ferguson always said, “You can’t correct it if it isn’t on the page.” I procrastinate way too much, always coming up with excuses to avoid that blank screen. But when I finally write something, the pump is primed and away we go.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not? 

All my writing colleagues inspire me.  As I said before, I’m a lazy writer. When I see them producing so much work, it pushes me to do more. To join in the fun. I owe them all a great deal. People like Jim Beard, Barry Reese, Nancy Hansen, Fred Adams Jr., Tommy Hancock and so many others.

What does literary success look like to you? 

The words…THE END on a page.

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug? 

Too many to remember them all. I’ve done a really different kind of Dracula story that will be coming from an Australian publisher later this year. And who knows, maybe those producers out in Hollywood pushing a Brother Bones TV series may get lucky. Time will tell.

For more information, visit:

www.airship27.com 

airship27.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment