Thursday, July 22, 2021

Sara Freites: I Can't Ask for More

Sara Freites is not just a gifted writer but a friend. When we first met, I got way too much fun kidding her about her age (or lack of it at that point -- she has gotten a little older now, but she still doesn't look it, and yes, I'm super jealous. I met her while she was focusing on her cosplay work, but I'm super proud of the writer she has become more recently, and I figured it was high time to introduce her to you. 

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

My book Rise of Midnight is a YA fantasy novel about a teenage girl named Autumn. She gets kidnapped by vampires who tell her that she’s the reincarnation of their elder vampire leader, and the reason they took her in is they need her help in sending a demon back to hell with powers she didn’t know she had from her past life. 

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?

I started reading the Animorph series at a young age and it was all over after that lol. I made up a character while reading the books that was “me” and I would pretend I was a part of the story. It led to me writing short stories, poetry, and eventually my first novel. 

What inspires you to write?

Anime and instrumental music.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

Inner growth and finding oneself.

What would be your dream project?

Oh, I have a few...but something that would be turned into an animation.

What writers have influenced your style and technique?

KA Applegate, Anne Rice, Stephanie Meyer and Arthur Golden

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

It would be my first book, I would have shortened the beginning so that the action started a little sooner. That book is a slow burn and builds up, and I found that the slow start has turned some readers away from reading on.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

Omg, both. I believe you do have to have some level of talent to write, but you also have to learn and build on your writing skills. I found reading others' work has helped me.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

I am a VERY slow writer LOL it takes me forever to have something finished and ready for my actual editor’s eyes 🤣 that and I always want to go back and change things last minute.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not?

Bouncing ideas off them, reading their work, and sometimes just listening to their ideas. I like to see how others work and think.

What does literary success look like to you?

To me, being published by a big publishing company, having your books in most bookstores, and possibly having a movie/TV adaption. I know I shoot for the moon LOL BUT...once reality sets in... I think just writing a book and putting it out there. I did the thing and finished a book. And I have a lot of people supporting me. I can’t ask for more. 

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?

I am working on the sequel to my 1st book called Rise of Daybreak, coming in December! I am also working on 2 other non-related fiction books. No official titles yet.

For more information, visit: 

s.a.f.ire_art on IG!

No comments:

Post a Comment