Saturday, February 16, 2013

[Link] Women in Horror: Badasses

by Selah Janel

Yeah yeah, Valentine’s day, love and stuff, etc etc etc. But what about those ladies that make our hearts suffer palpitations? What about those books and films that feature women that might actually rip your heart out or have to fight to keep their own organs in their chests?

So now that we’ve talked about those awesome crazy ladies, it’s time to talk about another group of women in the horror genre: badasses. Now here’s the thing. There were a lot of women I could have considered, especially given the slasher genre. I had to think long and hard as to whether I would include a lot of the final girls, or girls that lasted more than two movies in a franchise, or what. Here’s my thing: it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a lot of those movies, and although I can’t argue that some of those gals are pretty cool, I’m also trying to take a look at characters who aren’t just cool because they manage to stay alive. I mean I like staying alive, myself, but I really wanted to focus on the girls that are somewhat aggressive (in various ways) in their titles. I guess to a certain degree you could argue that all of them are reactionary to a point, too, but to me these girls don’t just exist to be reactionary or to be the final girl. You end up either learning about them and cheering or learning about them and shuddering. Sometimes both. So, without further delay, here is my list of female badasses in the horror genre.

Continue reading: http://selahjanel.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/women-in-horror-badasses/

No comments:

Post a Comment