Monday, March 4, 2013

The Best Graphic Novels Ever #5 -- X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

5. X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
by Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson
Published by Marvel Comics

I know. I know. Everybody's favorite X-Men story is SUPPOSED to be The Dark Phoenix Saga. Sue me, I'm not everybody.

This story is exactly what I'm looking in a comic book story. Brains and action and faith.

This story is proof that a comic book can be deeper -- a lot deeper -- than ____________ fights ___________.

This story is proof that social issues and comic books can be combined without sounding like an afterschool special (like the Spider-Man drug addiction issues).

But most important, this is the story that introduced me to Nightcrawler and made him my favorite Marvel character ever, primarly because he was written with depth and a level of reality I'd never seen in comics prior.

3 comments:

  1. Between the two... I liked the Proteus saga best. (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm with Erik on this one. The Dark Phoenix saga was amazing, but it was the year or more leading up to it that made the book stand out. Fighting Magneto in his volcano lair, the Savage Land, Proteus... what an amazing arc.

      Delete