Thursday, October 28, 2021

Mocha Memoirs Press Focus #8: Stephen Brayton

This month I'm following up the previous series (eSpec Books) with a new one -- this time the amazing writers of Mocha Memoirs Press. Meet Stephen Brayton! 

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

My story is about a young boy who goes to a school to learn how to be a wizard and is adept at some broom flying game… Wait, that’s not right. Let me start over.

Night Shadows. Killer shadows invade Des Moines! Homicide Detective Harry Reznik teams with FBI agent Lori Campisi to investigate a series of heinous murders. What they discover will introduce Reznik to the paranormal and the supernatural. For Campisi, she is confronted with her enigmatic past and the secrets she’s forgotten.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?

As an orphaned child, I wandered the country shoeless with only the stub of a pencil and a dog-eared notebook to my name. I figured if I was going to survive, I’d better entertain people, so I started writing stories.

Okay, seriously, I’ve been an avid reader since childhood. I read a lot of horror and mystery. At some point, I decided I could write stories like I enjoy reading. Many years passed before I learned the craft...and I’m still learning.

BTW, I’m not an orphan.

What inspires you to write?

The constant desire to keep from being bored.

Well, actually, this is difficult to answer. I’ve been a writer since childhood. As the years have passed, I think of more and more ideas. Some stall out before they get any traction, others bug me until I do something about them. I get that writer’s ‘itch’ that reminds me if I don’t write, then I’m missing out on something wonderful. While I fashion an outline for each story, I keep it fluid. I’m eager to see what creativity comes out as I’m writing. I enjoy the feeling of satisfaction with a completed project.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

I’m not sure if rainbows and unicorns are what you’re looking for. (Although I know someone who is writing about unicorns.)

For the Reznik/Campisi stories, I focus on relationships and family history. Night Shadows deals a lot with Campisi’s amnesia about her childhood. The next story in the series will bring Reznik’s ancestors into play.

Another series, featuring a female private investigator, brings in stories that have her involved with children. Usually, protecting them from danger. Also, in that series, I see how low I can bring her before her inner strength rises to help her to victory.

What would be your dream project?

I don’t think I dream projects… Oh, that’s not what you’re asking. You’re thinking something along the lines of Pulitzer prize stories, rising above the fame status of Stephen King and James Patterson. Well...sure, why not?

Okay, let’s get the tongue out of the cheek and answer this. In truth, I’m writing my dream projects. I’m continuing with both the Reznik/Campisi series, the private investigator series, and looking at another series featuring Reznik and another partner.

What writers have influenced your style and technique?

All of them. All right, you’re thinking I’m joking, but I’m really not. All writers help me find my style and voice. Maybe they help me by critiquing my work or by the material they bring to the table.

If you want to venture into authors I enjoy, I don’t think you have enough space for my entire list. However, I’ll give you several. Night Shadows has elements of Lovecraft. I’ve read numerous mystery authors such as Evanovitch, Paretsky, Grafton, Viets, Mayor, Chandler. Of course, the thrillers and high adventure novels are great. Golemon, Reilly, Ludlum, Flynn.

So many great authors and I pick up ideas from all of them. I try not to copy their style and technique. I hope I have developed my own.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

I have a book entitled New Year Gone that was released August 24. While I think the book is great (of course I do), I would have started earlier on getting permission to use some of the quotes I really wanted to include. Many quotes are from other books, and one came from a song. I learned too late the time needed for a response. I ended up changing out four quotes. While the substitutions are fine and work, I thought the original quotes were better.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

Writing is a form of art. Painting, sculpting, drawing, and playing around with wet clay on a spinning table are also art forms. With each style of art, there is crap and there is quality. With every art form, one can have a ‘natural’ ability, or one can learn and improve as the years pass. I think, too, that if you’re not practicing and fine-tuning your art, you may lose something. To get it back may take extra effort.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

Knowing at some point I have to stop writing, go out, and earn a real living. Lol.

Actually, while I don’t think the rewrites are difficult, they are time-consuming. Here I’ve written a complete story. Now, I have to go back and, in one sense, write it again. Add, delete, change, correct, alter. I’m a member of two critique groups and for each piece of material I read to them, I take copious notes to later consider. The difficult part keeping the big picture in mind with those notes. Some notes require referencing material earlier in the story.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not?

Does beating me with a stick count?

As I’ve mentioned, I enjoy critique groups. While I accept praise, I’m not going to have someone say, “Oh, that’s wonderful. Don’t change a thing.” Are you kidding? Tell me what doesn’t work. Point out my mistakes.

The biggest aid my writer friends provide is asking them questions about difficult scenes. How could I make this better? I’m stuck trying to figure out some action scene to put here, any suggestions? Many times, they’ll come up with something that will either work or that I can alter slightly to make work.

What does literary success look like to you?

$$$. Millions of fans giving me accolades and inviting me to lavish dinners in my honor.

What? You think I’m kidding here? Isn’t that what every successful writer wants?

Of course, the monetary aspect is important. There’s the humble answer of: Success is for readers to enjoy my work, want more, and recommend me to their friends. That’s also important.

However, I would like to be comfortable and have fun. To be able to write when I want, not worry about paying the bills, and to thoroughly enjoy what I’m doing. This includes everything from story creation, to outlining, to writing, editing, and meeting readers after the book is published.

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?

I’m working on the blueprints for a huge office building/entertainment venue that will make the Burj Kalifa in Dubai look like a child’s Lego toy. While I’ve considered diving right in, I think I may have to put that on the back burner due to the time I’ll spend ironing out the fine details.

Oh, did you mean writing projects? I would like to get the next Reznik/Campisi story to my professional editor. I’m reading the first in a series with Reznik and his new partner. I also have started writing two stories in the private investigator series with another outlined. Oh, and I’m going through a collaborative story put together years ago by one of my critique groups. It’s a fun project, but time-consuming. At times, I think the building might be completed faster.

For more information, visit:

You can visit me personally. Just stop on by my apartment any time you like. Here’s my address… Uh, wait a minute, maybe that isn’t a good idea. I haven’t vacuumed in a while, and the dust bunnies keep reproducing and hiding from me.

Instead, why don’t you surf on over to these three websites:

https://www.facebook.com/stephenbraytonauthor

https://stephenbrayton.wordpress.com/ - for the weekly blog

https://braytonsbookbuzz.wordpress.com/ - for the weekly book review

Also, I have a monthly (okay, sometimes I skip a month, but never more than two) news update. Send me an email if you’d like to be part of the gang. You get up updates on my books, where I’ll be, and how I’m doing on my fitness regimen. (Yeah, that last one is serious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment