Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Herika Raymer: Creepy, Hold the Gore

Herika Raymer is a bookwright who wants to do each story right! She grew up consuming books - first eating them and later reading them. Reading was better, but writing was fun! A writer of mixed genre - science-fiction, thriller, horror, fantasy (dark and/or rural), and even some humor (yes it can be dark) - her style leans towards thriller/horror. No gore, she explores either monster-based or psychological horror. No explicit sex, she claims such scenes make her blush. Still, her characters are passionate and engaging enough to win short story competitions/awards. Intrigued? 

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

My latest published work is CHICKEN PULP, available from Hireath Publishing. It was inspired by a dinner I heard about. A bunch of authors, tired after a convention, ate together and discussed possible upcoming projects. The night wore on, spirits were improved by consumption of alcohol, and… well… ideas got weird.

One idea was of a horror anthology, and the draw was the main ingredient was chickens.

Yup, chickens.

Readers are treated to my imagining what the dinner must have been like in the opening scene.

Still, it got me thinking. I did a bit of research, found some interesting facts and tidbits about chickens, and viola - CHICKEN PULP emerged.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

Mostly horror combined with thrillers and dark fantasy. I try to throw a bit of humor in where possible.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer? 

An enjoyment of storytelling, whether oral or written. The ability to not only visit the imaginations of other people via their work, but allow people to visit mine for a time. It’s interesting to see their reactions sometimes.

What inspires you to write? 

Depends on the subjects. Most times it’s the desire to explore ‘what if’. How many events in not only my lifetime but also other generations always have a ‘what if’ in them. ‘What if’ laws were enforced more? ‘What if’ punishments actually matched the crime? ‘What if’ a utopia could be achieved, what would it look like? ‘What if’ we could visit other planets, what could be there? ‘What if’ myth and lore were true, how would we coexist? Those are ponderings I like to explore.

What would be your dream project?

Honestly, something that would outlast me. Something dedicated to my kids, to family.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

MAKE MINE WITH A SIDE OF CREEPY is a collection of previously published short stories that was released by Dark Oak Press / Kerlak Publishing many years ago. Dark Oak Press / Kerlak Publishing has since moved on from the printed work from what I understand. I have the right back, and would like to re-release the stories. The current task is finding a home for the stories. It would need to be divided up, I’m sure, but I’m willing to put in the work. 

What writers have influenced your style and technique?

I’d like to think Ray Bradbury, H. P. Lovecraft, Robert Heinlein, and John Brunner influenced my writing. Though I also read J. R. R. Tolkein, C. S. Lewis (love THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS), and David Eddings. I admire Neil Gaiman and Robert Aspirin’s perspective on worlds, very adventurous. Of course, I have fellow authors I admire - Jen Mulvihill, H. D. Blalock, Kristi Bradley, Robert Krog, Larry Hoy. Our styles and topics are different, but our passion is the same. So, I try to weave imagination with respect to the styles of not only authors from before, but those of today and tomorrow..

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

Writing? It is an art. It is an expression of creativity. Then again, so is science isn’t it. Yet where science deals in hypotheses of proving aspects of our reality, writing explores hypotheses of how ideas will result.

As the astronaut Mae Jemison, said, "The difference between science and the arts is not that they are different sides of the same coin... or even different parts of the same continuum, but rather, they are manifestations of the same thing. The arts and sciences are avatars of human creativity.”

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process? 

Overcoming procrastination.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not? 

They are my soundboards, my editors, and my Beta Readers. More importantly, they are my support group. They understand the difficulty and disillusionment, as well as the crippling effect of ‘imposter syndrome’. All of us hope to earn a living from our writing, but the frequent reward is sharing our tales with eager readers/listeners.

What does literary success look like to you? 

First, I want to say financial success. It would be nice, believe me. Yet now, I realize it is more recognition of voice. We read our favorite authors repeatedly because of how they turn a phrase, how they bring us to their lands and tell us about them, and help us escape for a time. I’d like to be able to do that.

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?  

I’m currently working on three. 

The first of three JUDGEMENT DAY novels should be released around October 2024.

The second is a fantasy piece Three Ravens Publishing has expressed interest in. I hope to have it published with them before the end of this year, but I have no scheduled release at this time.

The third is a set of short stories in my COLLECTOR series to be featured in Hireath’s ParAbnormal Magazine.

For more information, visit: 

Unfortunately, my author website is in between homes. However, you can see a list of where to find my works on my Amazon Author Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment