Tuesday, February 27, 2024

John French: Writing in the Ruins

John French is a retired crime scene supervisor with forty years experience. He has seen more than his share of murders, shootings, and serious assaults. As a break from the realities of his job, he started writing science fiction, pulp, horror, fantasy, and, of course, crime fiction.


Tell us about your latest work.

My latest book is In the Ruins of Caerleon. It’s a collection of stories about Conor of Scotia, a knight who begins as a sword for hire and gradually becomes a hero. Some of the stories were previously published, such as The Good, the Bard, and the Ugly, which is a tribute to the late, great C. J. Henderson. Others were written to round off the collection and tell a more complete tale of Conor’s journeys.

Any upcoming projects you’d like to plug?

Oh yes, a few. I have two collections coming in 2024. One is a companion piece to my book The Last Redhead, which collected my stand-alone crime stories. This one is called When the Devil Drives. This is a collection of my weird stories — horror, supernatural, and the just plain strange — and will be published by Bold Venture Press. The title comes from a Facebook poll I did on a few groups in which I gave the readers the titles of some of the stories and asked them to pick the one they liked best. “When the Devil Drives” beat out “Pajama Skulls” and “Chuckles in Hell.” 

The second collection is coming from Padwolf Publications and is called The Last Ride of Cadillac Jack. All the stories are set in a future version of my Harbor City and are a mix of crime, capers, and the strange. The title story features a “gimmick crook” who commits car-based crime for fun, profit, and the amusement of the crowds.

I also have stories in the upcoming anthologies Zorro: Swordplay and Romance (Bold Venture Press) and A Cry of Hounds (eSpec Books).

For more information, visit: 


No website I’m afraid. But my books are available through Amazon and Barnes and Noble as well as my books’ publishers. I’m on Facebook and my email is jfrenchfam@aol.com if anyone has any questions, comments, or offers of six-figure advances and/or movie deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment