Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#202) -- Day and Night Writing

What environment works best for you when writing?

When I write during the day, I like a mixture of people and quiet. I really do write best in a room with other folks around, just not talking to me. For some reason I need the background noise of other conversations and music. Because of that, I think my ideal writing location is a place like Starbucks or Barnes & Noble.

Having mentioned that, there are times when I need to be alone to write, and that's usually if I'm writing late at night. When I'm during that, I like to keep the rest of the house dark except directly over where I'm writing, and put on brown noise or really mellow, ambient music at a low volume.

2 comments:

  1. I have to write in the quiet with the radio playing softly. Also, I write better at night than during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love to write at night during my lunch break when I pulled the overnight shift at Sunrise.

      Delete