Monday, October 20, 2014

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now #300 -- But Is That All They Can Do?

Why do you like teaching writing 
and talking about writing so much?


I know it's a bit of an insult to say that "those who can, do, and those who can't, teach." It's also translated in writing circles as "writers write, and people who talk about writing don't."

But, as someone how loves to write, loves to have written, AND loves to teach and talk about writing, I think these two statements are far too generalized and more than a bit unfair.

I would argue, and hope some would agree with me that I am indeed a quality writer of some merit, but also would argue that I have somewhere inside me a need to teach and train as well. I particularly enjoy talking about the act of writing with other writers and especially with those who are wanting to learn to write or write better. I think that's one of the reasons I started this blog, to have an outlet to do just that. I find that irons sharpens iron. I become a better writer by talking with and listening to other writers. 

Inversely, I also don't think it's fair to judge those writers who don't enjoy talking about the craft or doing panels, etc. for being less "into" writing. Some enjoy just the act of creating and prefer not to think about the "craft" in any analytical way. Some enjoy both the act of writing and the nature of the craft equally. Some enjoy the craft more. 

To discount any of those creatives is unfair. But your mileage may vary, as always.

2 comments:

  1. I always learn when I teach... when I was younger it was Dance class.. to demonstrate for the kids you have to be exact in your movements. Later in theater, you hone your skills when you demonstrate for others...

    Now with writing, when I work with my son or his friends I learn from their questions, their viewpoints, and I'm inspired by their excitement and the joy they find in character & world building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. I find that to be very true as well.

      Delete