Monday, January 26, 2015

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now #310 -- Musing Holmes

Now that Sherlock Holmes is officially in the public domain, 
do you have any plans for using him in your work?

The short answer is no. As much as I enjoy the original stories and the new movie and TV projects based on revitalizing or modernizing Holmes and Watson, I just don't have it in me personally to add to the wealth of non-original material featuring them.

Could that change at some point? Of course.

In fact, somewhere, way in the back of my mind is a comic book concept that deals with Mycroft, and I wouldn't mind brief "Easter eggs" that connect some of my work to some of the peripheral characters in the Doyle stories.

But for the time being, I have no plans to do any original Holmes work myself. For me, Holmes stories work best in the voice of A.C. Doyle, and most of the contemporary work tends to fall short because of that single issue alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment