Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Best Graphic Novels Ever #23 -- Batman: The Killing Joke

23. Batman: The Killing Joke
by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland
Published by DC Comics

Say what you want about Death in the Family, but I'm firmly convinced The Killing Joke is the quintessential Joker story. Little else in the litany of Joker tales does as much to capture the sheer mania and psychosis of this classic (and perhaps greatest) Batman villian.

Why is this book important to comic book history? Let's see...

Joker shooting and paralyzing Batgirl Barbara Gordon? Check. The redefining of the Joker origin? Check. One heck of a story by Moore and Bolland? Check.

2 comments:

  1. You just had to bring this one up, didn't you? Between this and "The Laughing Fish" I'm always conflicted as to which is the best Joker story. I love 'em both so I guess that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about this one really grabs me by the, well, ahem. So I vote this one, D.

      Delete