Monday, December 17, 2012

The Best Graphic Novels Ever #25 -- I Am Legend

25. I Am Legend
by Richard Matheson, adapted by Steven Niles and Elman Brown
Published by IDW Publishing

At the risk of being self-indulgent, Steve Niles adaptation of I Am Legend is the stuff of legend. It's a near perfect pairing of prose and illustration. And yes, I did say "prose" not "script."

More akin to Prince Valiant than to modern comics, this version runs the text of the sci-tinged vampire tale around Brown's amazing artwork, using one to bring the other to life and back again. Even with so many words on a page, the book never becomes "heavy." Easily one of my favorite horror graphic novels ever.

However, this one is not a light, fast read, so be warned. You'll  need to carve out some quality time for this one.

For the "rules" I'm using for graphic novel, check the original post.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent choice in this GN - it is one of the few I have to re-read this year, because I enjoyed it! Kind of like my annual re-reading of the actual novel this is based on as well as The Watchmen and Kingdom Come!
    You are seriously doing an excellent job on these choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Todd. Wait 'til we get closer to #1. I think you'll find a few surprises in my list to make it a little different from the average comic book blogger's list of faves. I'm always a bit off the beaten path, after all.

      Delete