Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#25) -- Watch & Read

You've said that you most enjoy writing pulp adventures.
Do you also enjoy it the most for reading and/or watching it?

That's a great question, John. And the answer is... sometimes. How's that for vague?

Actually, I do love reading noir pulps, but I'm not as big a fan of a lot of the "super hero" pulp stuff from years past. It may disqualify me from writing pulps, but I've actually never read a single novel or story featuring Doc Savage or The Black Bat. What I really enjoy reading, however, is the stuff that is pulpish in nature, the stuff that is first cousin to the pulps themselves. What do I mean by that? The adventure stories of H. Rider Haggard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, for example. And I'm an addict for about 90 percent of the Hard Case Crime line of books.

But I'm also a huge fan of classic American literature, and I'll trip over a stack of otherwise good books to read Hemingway, Fitzgerald, O'Connor, Hurston, and Carver.

As for my viewing habits, it's no secret that I probably watch more horror films than just about anyone on the planet. Yet, I don't write nearly that much horror. (Although I do write it from time to time.) I do enjoy the noir films too, but I'm just a sucker for a good (or a bad) horror movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment