Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#35) -- Writer's Resolutions

What are your New Year's resolutions for 2012 as a writer? -- Baby New Year

 
I'm not a big fan of New Year's resolutions. They tend to be poorly thought up, I think, and too easily cast aside by the third day of the year. However, in lieu of actually resolutions, I do try to reaffirm my ongoing commitment to the craft each year: To write as much each day that I can.


Some of my favorite quotes about resolutions:

New Year's Day… now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual. -- Mark Twain

Drop the last year into the silent limbo of the past. Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God that it can go. -- Brooks Atkinson

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
-- T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"


New Year's Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time. --James Agate

Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account.  -- Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment