Thursday, December 15, 2011

RIP Eduardo Barreto

Luis Eduardo Barreto (1954 – 2011) was an artist from Uruguay who worked in the comic book and comic strip industries.

Barreto's art appeared in such DC Comics series as The New Teen Titans, Atari Force, The Shadow Strikes, and an annual issue of DC Comics Presents (#4, 1985). For Claypool Comics, he drew Elvira, Mistress of the Dark; for Oni Press, he drew The Long Haul; and for Marvel Comics, he drew Marvel Knights.


On May 29, 2006, Barreto took over the artist duties of the comic strip Judge Parker from Harold Ledoux. Shortly afterward, Barreto was involved in a serious car accident. He was in the hospital for a few weeks, which left him unable to draw Judge Parker; as a result, Graham Nolan and John Heebink filled in.

In 2010, Barreto contracted meningitis, which forced him to stop drawing the strip, although continued working on other projects, such as a Captain Action special with writer Beau Smith. Mike Manley succeeded him permanently beginning with the March 15, 2010 strip.

Barreto had a son Diego also a cartoonist, who filled in for him as Judge Parker artist for a week. His daughter Andrea is a colorist.

In July 31, 2011, Baretto became the artist for the Sunday The Phantom comic strip.

Barreto passed away in December 2011. (from Wikipedia)


=====================================================================

For IDW editor Chris Ryall's memorial piece, click here:  
http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2173


=====================================================================


This blogger best remembers Eduardo for his amazing work on the Cobb comics with writer Beau Smith. 

Addendum:  I just remembered the first time I met Eduardo Barreto. It was my first trip to Wizard World Chicago (which now feels like centuries ago). I was meeting my buddy Scott McCullar, and as an added bonus to my trip, he took me to another room to meet a guy he knew through some website work -- a little known writer I'm sure only a few of you have heard of -- Chuck Dixon. Anyway, so while I'm trying not to trip over my fanboy giddiness, Chuck introduces me to the two guys hanging out in the room with him, Doug Moench (if memory serves) and this quiet guy sitting on the couch, just smiling. It was Eduardo. Shortly after that we went out to eat. Something about Eduardo's demeanor was comforting throughout the night. Maybe it was the language barrier at the time, maybe it was just my stand-offishness at being in the midst of giants. Whatever it was, I knew I couldn't help but like the guy.

I only met him in passing at conventions after that, but he was the second true comic book professional I met in person, and he was so human that he helped this fanboy come to realize that pros are just people.

Thank you Eduardo. You were taken from your family and friends -- and fans -- way too early.

2 comments:

  1. So sad. Strange how we have lost two creators today, one with a long well-lived life and the other a life still too short(he was my dad's age and Josh's mom's age).

    ReplyDelete