Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#14) -- My Secret Origin

How did you get started in the comic book industry? -- Lillian Hawkins
   
I got my start in the pages of Shooting Star Comics Anthology. Some friends and I started our own company and took the bull by the horns to show this industry we meant business. I had previously been a magazine editor, so I became the editor-in-chief of the company and helped us to develop publishing plans and publication schedules. 


As for the lettering, I was too broke to hire a letterer, so I learned how to do it myself in the stories I had written, and thankfully, there was helpful information all over the Internet. 

We had a blast putting out our books and eventually branching out to do other people's work too, such as the critically acclaimed Children of the Grave and one of the graphic novels in the Jetta: Tales of the Toshigawa series, and I was able to publish my Fishnet Angel: Jane Doe miniseries as well, but when it came time to close up the shop and move on, we instinctively knew it, and we all moved on to find our new places in the comics world. 

Fortunately several of us have landed in various spots from AC to IDW and beyond.   

1 comment:

  1. Except for me. I am lost at sea.

    But that time is one of my happiest and the SSCA and SSC's other stuff is something I am extremely proud of, even if my contributions were meager.

    ReplyDelete