Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#74) -- Coffee and Conversation

If you could have an uninterrupted hour of coffee and 
conversation with any one living writer, whom would you choose?

This response could change on a daily basis sometimes, depending on what I'm reading. And sadly, the authors I'd most love to share a cup of coffee with are now dead.

But for living writers, at the moment, I'd have to go with Annie Dillard. I've loved her way of seeing the world and then transcribing her vision to words ever since I read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek for a college assignment way back when I was a lot younger.

Ironically, the thing I wouldn't want to talk about with her would be writing stuff. I'd really just prefer to sit back, sip my espresso and let her tell me about moths and broken tree limbs in her own beautifully fascinating way. And with any luck, she wouldn't notice when my hour was up.

2 comments:

  1. Great question and feels impossible to choose just one. Like you, one of my idols is now dead, Lilian Jackson Braun. I think having only an hour with her would be too much of a tease and I'd hate for it to end.

    Living however is a writer using the pen name Cleo Coyle who writes mysteries set around a coffee shop and her knowledge of coffee would make for tremendous conversation.

    Also Susan Wittig Albert who is an expert gardener and includes herbal lore and recipes in her stories. She writes two series at once. I don't know how she does everything.

    Finally a friend, Duane Swierczynski simply because I don't see him enough so locking him down for an hour would be most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have writer friends like that that I need to lock in a room for some time as well since we never see each other. I'll have to look into the Cleo Coyle stuff. Sounds interesting. I'm a coffee nut.

    ReplyDelete