Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#85) -- Most Memorable Fan Moment

What's your most fond memory of meeting a fan?

This one is easy only because it happened yesterday. Prior to that, I would have been sorting through all sorts of great memories of meeting fans and trying to prioritize them.

What happened yesterday is this: A guy came up to my table at Con Nooga, and waited patiently while I was talking to some other folks who were buying a book. He wasn't looking over the books and other merchandise, so my first thought was that he was a podcaster or someone with the convention. I said hello and gave him the "Please feel free to take a look at the books" line, and he continued waiting, not looking over the books. Well, when the couple left, I said hello again and he reached out his hand.

I'm paraphrasing here only because I've slept and the exact words have fallen out of my brain during the night.

"I just want to shake you hand and tell you thank you," he said.

"For what?" I ask, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"A few years ago, at this con, I stopped by and asked you for some advice on doing a comic, and you were the first guy to actually help me out and talk with me about it. And today, my friend and I are doing a web comic and we're actually set up on the next aisle with our print book and other merchandise featuring the characters. So I just wanted to say thank you because you were really helpful and you're one of the reasons we're here as creators today."

Needless to say, I was both humbled and beaming at the same moment.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say that my moment came when I heard from a fan who had become a professional in the comics industry that I was THE first professional to look at his work and give him constructive feedback-- be supportive of his work. The best part of it was that when this professional approached me I had just reached a really low point in my career. I was just about to give up completely when he came along and reminded me what it was all about. I don't think he knew or knows how he helped ME that day just as I'd helped him years earlier...
    *** Rob Davis ***

    ReplyDelete