Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#89) -- Most Interesting Research

What's the most interesting thing you've learned recently while researching for a story?

Every time I research for a story I tend to learn something interesting, but the most fascinating tidbit I've picked up recently is from researching pre-WWII planes for my Lance Star comic book story for All-Star Pulp Comics #2 to be published by Redbud Studios and Airship 27 Productions.

You see, back when I was a preteen, I had a stepfather for a few years who was a pilot, and during that time, I had a strong fascination with airplanes. Well, when I started researching war planes and stunt planes from the 1930s, all that youthful fascination came rushing back to me.

And I also learned about the Russian Yakovlev UT-1, a very, very cool airplane of the time period. 

I always love the research phase of my writing, in part because I'm a history minor and a history nut, and my research is typically far more intriguing than my actually history classes (weapons, planes, poisons, and serial killers just sadly weren't in our curriculum as KSU). I always find some tidbit that makes me almost squeal with childish delight at some new knowledge learned. Like in kid in a candy store, I tell ya.