Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#89) -- Most Interesting Research

What's the most interesting thing you've learned recently while researching for a story?

Every time I research for a story I tend to learn something interesting, but the most fascinating tidbit I've picked up recently is from researching pre-WWII planes for my Lance Star comic book story for All-Star Pulp Comics #2 to be published by Redbud Studios and Airship 27 Productions.

You see, back when I was a preteen, I had a stepfather for a few years who was a pilot, and during that time, I had a strong fascination with airplanes. Well, when I started researching war planes and stunt planes from the 1930s, all that youthful fascination came rushing back to me.

And I also learned about the Russian Yakovlev UT-1, a very, very cool airplane of the time period. 

I always love the research phase of my writing, in part because I'm a history minor and a history nut, and my research is typically far more intriguing than my actually history classes (weapons, planes, poisons, and serial killers just sadly weren't in our curriculum as KSU). I always find some tidbit that makes me almost squeal with childish delight at some new knowledge learned. Like in kid in a candy store, I tell ya.

4 comments:

  1. I did a lot of research for my Shamus Directive story for Pro Se. The story takes place in a Queens (that's a county in New York City) called North Beach, which holds an airport. That airport was first built by a pilot and plane designer named Curtiss. That airport became LaGuardia airport.

    For the plane in the story, since I chose to base it on an investigator who worked for Pan Am Airways, I selected the Sikorsky S-40 sea plane. I found out Lindbergh was a consultant for the airline and called that plane a "flying forrest" because of the number of struts between the flying surfaces and the cabin.

    Now, I was somewhat limited by the lack of fine details of the plane, but did manage to find a cutaway on google. Not detailed enough for me but a good working point.

    I found a lot of interesting info about the airport, the plane, and Pan Am. As a plane fan myself it was lots of fun.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic, Sean. 'Write what you know' never sat well with me, because I love to learn new things and can only really get excited by a story when I'm researching.

    Recently, in writing a Lovecraftian story centering on one of the numerous 19th century 'Utopian' communities that sprang up all over America, I was intrigued to learn that the Oneida silverware company (now no longer manufacturing, another thing I was surpried to learn) started out as the main export of one of these insulated communities from upstate New York.

    The Oneidans were also early practitioners of eugenics (or stirpiculture as they called it). Their ruling council approved or plotted out all 'get togethers' of members for purposes of procreation, and the children from those unions were encouraged to lessen their dependence on parental relationships by being cared for by a different community member every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, one day I'd like to do something with a Spruce Goose type of plane. That would be fun, perhaps even one that held several smaller planes in a "bay" like the Enterprise does on Star Trek.

    Ed, I'm with you. If I only wrote "what I know" I'd have never learned plans, the underground tunnels of Paris, what caves feel like to the touch, etc. I'd have only written coming of age tales of redneck youths arguing about cars and pick-up trucks. (And trust me, we don't need any more of those.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I have cultish silverware in my house, Ed? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete