Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#95) -- iHero Memories

How did you come up with the idea for the character 
Ms. Futura from the iHero story "Sin and Error Pining"?

The notion of the character came before the actual character herself. What do I mean by that?

Well, I wanted to create a character to throw away in the sense that she was going to be a one-note bit player, not to be seen again.

You see, I wanted to explore the idea of what makes a hero heroic. I've always believed that it's not the powers or costumes or white hats -- it's the consistent ethic of self-sacrifice that defines the hero. (At least that's the way I see it. Your mileage my vary.)

So I wanted a character who didn't even make it to the end of her origin. She'd learn the hard way that sometimes that act of sacrifice happens the first time out of blocks, and sometimes even before the beginning of a hero's "Year One" story.

Having that, it was a matter (or so I thought) of just painting by the numbers to fill in the blanks and finish the story.

But... (There's always a but, right?)

I sort of fell in love with the character. I looked for every opportunity to save her. I really did. I tried every story nook and story cranny to find her a safe place for her to to survive the tale.

Only, to do so would mean she ceased to be a hero.

So I resigned her to her fate and threw her lifeless corpse to the dogs. All for the best. Or at least I keep telling myself that. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment