Tuesday, August 17, 2021

eSpecs Books Focus #7: Michael A. Black

I've got a special treat for you this month and next month. I'm going to devote Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays to writers from eSpecs Books. They're a great bunch of folks whom you need to get to know. 

Next up, Michael A. Black!

Tell us a bit about your latest work. 

In spite of making everyone sick and miserable, the pandemic and the lockdown had a salubrious effect on my writing in 2020. In December of 2019 I signed a contract to write a four-book series for Wolfpack Publishing called Trackdown. I did a quick outline of the first novel in the series, Devil’s Dance. Since I had the idea for this one pretty well thought out, I was able to jump in with both feet. I started the novel in January 2020, and turned it in by the March deadline. (I pride myself on never having missed a deadline.) While I was finishing up this one, an opportunity arose to do another western in the Gunslinger series under the house name of AW Hart, and coincidentally I had an idea for a western story with a “monster” in it. I signed a contract to knocked out Gunslinger: Killer’s Ghost by the end of April. The virus scare was in full swing by this time. Since virtually everything was shut down, even my gym, I got into a non-stop writing routine. I’d long ago mastered the process of working on two projects at once, so I worked on the western (Gunslinger: Killer’s Ghost) and the second Trackdown book, Devil’s Fancy, which was due in June. After completing both of those on time, I started and finished the third Trackdown book, Devil’s Brigade, and then wrote the fourth book, Devil’s Advocate, by December 31st to cap off the story arc. The books were released in quick succession, the first one coming out in November 2020 and the fourth one coming out this past February. So far this year I’m maintaining my pace. I wrote Gunslinger: Killer’s Gamble, which is due out on June 23rd, and I’m tying up the series with Gunslinger: Killer’s Requiem, which will follow later this summer.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?  

I always wanted to be a writer. I wrote my first short story in the sixth grade. I kept badgering the teacher to let me write some fiction, and finally, she agreed. One Friday she told me I could write a story but I had to read it in front of the class on Monday. The realization then hit me as I walked home. I had no idea what to write about. After a searing, soul-searching weekend, I managed to scratch out a story on Sunday. When I got in front of the class to read it, I was nervous as hell. When I finished there was a stunned silence, followed by a couple of giggles. (It wasn’t supposed to be a funny story.) The teacher gave me a “come hither” gesture. I went to her desk and handed her my story. She scrawled D-POOR WORK in bright red ink across the front, thrust it back to me, and said, “Don’t ever do this again.” I look back on this experience as what they call a paradigm shift in my writing life. It foreshadowed everything yet to come. I got my first writing assignment, my first deadline, and my first rejection all in the space of three days. 

What inspires you to write? 

I love everything about it. A friend of mine once told me that I was “in love with words.” As a youth, whenever I read a book and came across a word I didn’t know, I’d fold down the corner of the page and look it up later. I kept a notebook with all the words and their definitions. When I was visiting my grandfather as a youth, he gave me his Roget’s Thesaurus and told me to keep it. In the inside cover he’d written, “A man’s thoughts are limited by his vocabulary.” He was a navy lifer and had little formal education, but he was self-taught and highly intelligent.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work? 

My works are meant to be entertaining, not didactic. For me it’s all about telling the story in a way that will keep the reader turning the pages, and leave them with a satisfied feeling upon closing the back cover. This is not to say that I don’t occasionally try to imbue certain important truths and principles into my work. In one of my westerns, Gunslinger: Killer’s Brand, for instance, I portray things as they were, warts and all. I have an ex-Buffalo Soldier falsely charge with murder due to his race. I put in a trial sequence that pays homage to and is reminiscent of the one in Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird. I never beat the reader over the head with a message, though. If you want to do that, I’d advise you to write non-fiction.

What would be your dream project? 

I’ve been lucky that I’ve been able to be published in several different genres. I’ve done mysteries, thrillers, sci-fi, westerns, horror, historicals, sports, and pulp to name a few. My dream project … I’d have to say it would be writing a book with James Patterson. I heard he recently acquired the rights to the Shadow. I used to listen to the old-time radio show when I was working midnights, and loved reading the old pulps. So, Mr. Patterson, if you’re listening … ;-)

What writers have influenced your style and technique? 

I’d credit my two mentors, Stuart Kaminsky and Donald Bain for being major influences on me. Stuart was a tireless writer and inspired me to write, write, write. Donald once told me that a professional writer should be able to write anything, and should never turn down a writing assignment. As far as styles I admire, I’d say John D. MacDonald, James Dickey, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, and Michael Connelly have all influenced me.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do? 

I think it’s every writer’s goal to evolve and improve as a writer and stylist, but as far as a “do-over” I’ll take a pass. Don’t look back is my motto. My early work stands on its own and I’m proud of it, but I do think my more recent stuff is much better written.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why? 

Writing is definitely art. Science is based on facts and is black and white. It’s empirical reasoning that is used to prove or solve problems based on the laws of science. Art, on the other hand, is in a myriad of colors and is all about portraying something with a bit of flourish and panache. Let me put it this way. In science, two plus two equals four. It’s a fact. In art, two plus two can equal five, if Big Brother says so.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process? 

It’s all difficult, but it’s the kind of difficulty that you love. It’s like running a marathon or going ten rounds in a boxing match. (I’ve done the latter and maybe someday will accomplish the former.) You may feel the pain and exhaustion as you’re doing it, but you also know the payoff will be crossing that finish line or finishing on your feet, win, lose, or draw.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not? 

They help me by being my first readers. They tell me if I need to work on something that’s awkward or unclear. They help me by being honest. Every writer should get feedback on that first draft. Find someone who will read your work and tell you what’s working and what’s not.

What does literary success look like to you? 

Literary success should be typing those final words on your manuscript. When I was in grad school one of my professors had some cogent advice. “We may not all become published authors,” he said. “But we’re all writers.”

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug? 

Yeah, my first horror story, “Seven Ravens,” is coming out in a fabulous new anthology called Devilish & Divine, edited by the peerless Danielle Ackley-McPhail and John L. French.

For more information, visit: 

Amazon.com where my books are on sale for 99 cents right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment