Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#59) -- Writing Short Stories

Which do you prefer to write, novels or short stories?

Well, based on yesterday, you now know that I prefer to read short stories. But what about writing?

Surprise, it's short stories again. (Or maybe not surprise.)

Why? Several reasons.

1. Novels take a long time, and I'm lazy.
2. Short stories to me are more of an art form, and require more focus from me as a writer.
3. I believe what a writing professor told me once: Writing a novel is like throwing words at a wall and seeing what sticks. Writing a short story requires words placed with precision and intention.
4. I just like short stories better. A quick bit into a character's life and then out again to meet someone new.


That said, once I tackle a few novels, my viewpoint may change. That certainly has happened with my novellas and novelettes. And the more I write those, the longer my short stories continue to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment