Thursday, September 9, 2021

Mocha Memoirs Press Focus #1: Ronald T. Jones

This month I'm following up the previous series (eSpec Books) with a new one -- this time the amazing writers of Mocha Memoirs Press. First up is Ronald T. Jones!

Tell us a bit about your latest work.  

My latest release is Blood, Sweat and Blaster Bolts. The book is an anthology featuring short stories that I’ve written over the years. The stories are action-adventure tales ranging from space opera to fantasy to steampunk.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?  

I have been a science fiction fan since my childhood. I enjoy reading the literature and watching it on TV and the big screen. One day in my early twenties, I decided that I wanted to add my own contribution to this genre. That’s when I began to write.

What inspires you to write? 

The love of the genre. Science fiction provides the parameters I need to let my imagination soar.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work? 

I grew up watching Star Wars and Star Trek and I’ve read much military science fiction. My work reflects those influences. Overall, war and conflict are major themes in my writing.

What would be your dream project? 

I would love to have one or a multiplicity of my novels or short stories featured on the small or big screen. It would be interesting to see how filmmakers interpret my work.

What writers have influenced your style and technique? 

There have been many. David Weber, Charles Saunders, Steven Barnes, William Forstchen, Poul Anderson, and others.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do? 

I wrote a novel, Warriors of the Four Worlds, years ago. I think I would flesh out the world-building a bit more. Of course, one of the challenges of writing is determining the right balance of storytelling and exposition. I would have to be careful not to get bogged down in long, drawn-out details. 

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why? 

Writing is definitely an art. Whereas illustrative artists render images with drawing pencils and paintbrushes, writers create images with words.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process? 

For me, it is determining how a scene should play out, what dialogue to give a character that would be most impactful. Sometimes, I flow in those areas, at other times, I stumble. But I always resolve such issues.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not? 

I have been a member of online writing communities for many years. During that time, I’ve received tremendous support, encouragement, and inspiration from the many talented writers who make up those communities.

What does literary success look like to you? 

Worldwide renown and the financial benefits that flow from it.

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug? 

I have two novels in the pipeline: Superium, an alien invasion story, and my first fantasy novel, Ogon’s Fist. I’ve also written a number of unpublished short stories. I’m constantly writing, constantly mining my imagination for ideas. Fame and fortune may or may not grace me, but my passion for writing will always be my lifelong companion.

For more information, visit: 

Amazon

Facebook

1 comment: