Thursday, September 23, 2021

Mocha Memoirs Press Focus #3: Rie Sheridan Rose

This month I'm following up the previous series (eSpec Books) with a new one -- this time the amazing writers of Mocha Memoirs Press. Meet Rie Sheridan Rose!

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

My latest novel is Mutiny on the Moonbeam from Mocha Memoirs Press. It is the story of a runaway fleeing an abusive stepfather who winds up aboard a flying Elven pirate ship. There is adventure, romance, and derring-do involved—oh, and a really big spider.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?

I learned to read. Honestly, I wanted to be a writer as soon as I learned what letters were and how they fit together to make words. I have some things my mother saved that are written in crayon.

What inspires you to write?

All sorts of things. I got inspiration for a YA novel last week on vacation because there were children everywhere playing an interactive game, and it made me think “What if someone were drawn into the game for real?” Yes, it’s been done, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done again. It’s how you tell the story that matters.

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

Independence; self-sufficiency; learning from experiences; standing up to wrongs…

What would be your dream project?

My dream project (literally—the main character came to me in a dream) is a Space Opera/Sci Fi story set in a future world where power has been consolidated in the hands of a group called the Lords of Discipline and my band of revolutionaries is trying to thwart their injustices. It’s been written to an ending at least twice, but it is still not at the publishing stage yet. I’ve been working on it off and on since the early 80s.

What writers have influenced your style and technique?

There are many. Anne Rice. CJ Cherryh. Anne Perry. Tanith Lee. Ray Bradbury. Lynn Flewelling. Those come to mind immediately.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

Well, I’ve done this with my first novel—one that also took about thirty years to write—The Blood That Binds. I completely rewrote it after feedback from my writing partner incorporating more realistic tactics and logical action into The Luckless Prince. It was a major undertaking, and then it got another thorough edit before it was published by Zumaya Publications. It has since been re-released from Dragon Moon.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

I would say it is an artistic science. I do believe that you can learn the basic requirements and hone them through practice, but you also have to have that creative spark of imagination or your writing will be lacking heart. Does that make sense?

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

Finding time to work everything in. I have so many ideas, and only so much time that I am not editing, or cleaning house, or running errands, or…  It would be awesome to have no responsibilities except writing, but I think it would also become old fast.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not?

Critiques to point out where something can be better. That is a big help. Also, posting about their accomplishments is a goad to get more done myself, and that always helps. Suggesting markets to try. Encouragement. We really are a big community. 

What does literary success look like to you?

Not going to Amazon and seeing all the books I am involved in ranked over 1 million would be a start. But seriously, I think that literary success is a very personal call. I will feel like a literary success if I ever get something accepted to Clarkesworld. But I also feel proud of my bibliography on Amazon. When I look at the body of work I have been a part of, I feel successful, even if not monetarily. Some money would be nice…

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?

At the moment, I have nothing big in the works, but I would like to plug the book I am currently editing, because I think the series is outstanding. I am working on Blood Stew by Todd Sullivan for Mocha Memoirs, and it is the first novel-length book in the Windshine Chronicles (Book Three counting the novellas.) I think it is a fascinating world he’s created, and I think everyone should check it out. I didn’t edit the novellas, but I have read them, and I hope that this series continues for a long time.

For more information, visit:

https://riewriter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment