Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#105) -- Literary No More?

Do you ever plan to write literary fiction again, or do 
you consider that part of your writing career over?

Maybe. Maybe not. However, that doesn't mean I've abandoned the things that writing lit fic taught me. Even in pulp or comics or horror or steampunk stories, I tend to return to the tools of the literary tradition and fill my stories with symbols, characterization, and action beyond the mere physical to the emotional/psychological. I still prefer to write my characters as realistically as possible, rather than be satisfied with mere stereotypes (even in a genre like pulp that relies heavily on such stereotypes).

I'm of the belief that there's a place for literary horror tales, literary super hero tales, literary pulp, literary steampunk, etc., even it it's not billed that way.

And chances are, it will most likely come out that way when I write it, simply because it's being filtered through the sum of my writing experiences.  Considering I got my start on the tales of Hemingway, Faulkner, O'Connor, Welty, Morrison, Hurston, Fitzgerald, Vonnegut, and Carver, that probably isn't really any big surprise to anyone who knows me.

That said, I do have a folder of unfinished lit fic short stories I'd like to finish and publish as a collection one day.