Sunday, March 4, 2012

[Link] Generating Ideas

By Kevin Williams and Martheus Wade

One of the questions we get asked from time-to-time is, "Where do you get your ideas?"

Kevin:
Well, sometimes from reading.  It can be a book about creating ideas, like "The Cartoonist's Muse"; or, it can happen while you're reading a novel.  Sometimes, reading other comic strips will send my brain reeling down another path and then I have to stop and go write a few comic strips.

Martheus:
I'm a big fan of movies. I find a lot of inspiration in going to a great movie (and some of the not so great ones) and falling into the story. Sometimes an idea for a comic story can come to me from something as simple as a camera angle. I remember going to see 300 and being moved so much by the fight scenes that I was determined to achieve that feeling of camera angles and movement in a Jetta comic page.
 
Janet:
I get a lot of ideas from movies and animation as well.  If there's a good storyline going, you can't help but become inspired. Good stories are timeless and transcend boundaries, so you'll see recurring themes in different books and movies.  Music can also put you in a certain mood to create.   

No comments:

Post a Comment