Friday, March 23, 2012

The Writer Will Take Your Questions Now (#118) -- Girl Power

Since you write so many female protagonists, do you feel 
you've become more in touch with your "feminine side"?

Marlene Dietrich, the queen of both
her feminine and masculine sides.
Actually, I think a good writer, or let's say a consistently published writer, must be in touch with his or her feminine side, masculine side, grown-up side, childish side, black side, white side, 4-armed alien from the planet Beta-15 side, and magical dragon-taming orc side.

In other words, he or she must be prepared to write a believable protagonist of any race, religion, gender, species, etc., as dictated by the needs of the story.

So, yes, I do feel that I'm better in tune with my "feminine side" thanks to my writing, but not at the expense of any of the other sides and characters living in my overcrowded brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment