Thursday, April 29, 2021

John Leister and the Resilience of the Human Spirit

John Leister is an author I've discovered recently, and you know me, share and share alike, so let me introduce you to this crime writer as well. 

Tell us a bit about your latest work.

My latest novel is called Lee Hacklyn Private Investigator and Urban Tiger Team-Up in D.A. Moral.  Lee and sixteen-year-old Tommy Ryder AKA the Urban Tiger (He's like Kick-Ass) join forces to bring down NYC's most powerful drug kingpin.

What happened in your life that prompted you to become a writer?

About two years ago, I hit emotional bottom and reached out to God.  After that, I began to feel better about myself.  I had a stack of dusty short stories in my bedroom.  I read them and thought, if somebody else wrote these, I'd like them.

That was the beginning.

What inspires you to write?

God expects us to follow our bliss if we can.  Writing is my bliss.  Oh, I'm not pushy about my faith.  Just saying!

What are the themes and subjects you tend to revisit in your work?

My stories are old-school, in that there is usually a strongly defined protagonist and strongly defined antagonist.  If my stories have a common theme, then, I'll go with this:  the resilience of the human spirit.

What would be your dream project?

Lee Hacklyn, Netflix series.

What writers have influenced your style and technique?

Stan Lee, Robert B. Parker, the late Vince Flynn, and CJ Box are some of my faves.  Brian Micheal Bendis, Mark Millar, Kyle Mills, Nelson Demille, as well.

If you have any former project to do over to make it better, which one would it be, and what would you do?

Art is never finished, it's abandoned. I have no desire to revisit my stuff.  My mind is always on what I'm writing now.

Where would you rank writing on the "Is it an art or it is a science continuum?" Why?

Definitely an art.  What I know about science could fill the eye of a needle.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?

For me, the artistic process is just doing it, having a good time while I'm doing it, and never mind second-guessing myself. Life's too short.   If I write something that makes me laugh, I have faith that it will make somebody else laugh, too.

How do your writer friends help you become a better writer? Or do they not?

I have a couple of friends online who are professional writers.  They have been nothing but positive and encouraging.  Particularly Bobby Nash and Sean O' Neil. Super nice guys and incredibly prolific.  They are now where I want to be.  Before my corporeal existence ends!

What does literary success look like to you?

If I can support myself and my future wife with my writing, oh, boy, that would be great.  But I would like to add that "success" also comes with the act of doing.  I have 28 books online.  I'm doing this interview.  Honestly, I feel very successful right now!

Any other upcoming projects you would like to plug?

Lee Hacklyn 1970s Private Investigator in Radio Silence is the next one.  I'm going to start it tonight with my pen and notepad.  Psyched!

For more information, visit:

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/contributor/author/john-leister/

No comments:

Post a Comment